Haddenham Parish Council is very concerned about the impact of Climate Change. At a meeting of the full Parish Council on 24th June 2019, the council agreed to declare a Climate Emergency and pledged to make Haddenham carbon neutral by 2030.
In order to achieve this goal, the council will use an evidence-based approach to identify the highest-impact actions for residents to take to reduce carbon emissions. It will also seek to enrol early adopters from social networks across the village to engage in and promote the measures identified. It is hoped that the enthusiasm of those involved in the pilots will be contagious and make others more open to change.
Haddenham Parish Council's strategy can be summarised as 6 specific actions:
- Identify main sources of emissions
- Recognise which sources will be reduced by outside factors e.g. Government action or technological developments
- Identify the most impactful changes that Haddenham residents and organisations can make
- Create a decadal plan of action
- Run pilots for each measure using enthusiastic volunteers from social networks (real and virtual) across Haddenham
- Monitor and improve measures based on feedback from pilots
For further details on the council's plans, please see our Climate Emergency presentation slides.
Climate Emergency Committee
The Parish Council has established a dedicated committee to lead its efforts on reducing carbon emissions within the parish.
The Climate Emergency Committee has four working groups that meet regularly on an informal basis and feed back to the committee:
- The Food We Eat And The Food We Waste - aims to reduce carbon emissions associated with food consumption and food waste.
- Electric Vehicle Adoption - aims to reduce the use of petrol and diesel vehicles and increase electric vehicle use within the parish
- Home Energy - aims to help residents reduce carbon emissions within the home
- Land Use - aims to reduce carbon emissions by promoting the use of land in a sustainable way.
Members of public are welcome to join the working groups. Anyone interested in joining one of the working groups should contact firstname.lastname@example.org
We are particularly interested to hear from anyone with the following skills:
- creating business models,
- commercial negotiations to Heads of Terms,
- project management,
- web design,
- qualitative research,
- behavioural change implementation,
- technical expertise on the subject matter.
Electric Vehicle Hire Club
We are very pleased to report that the Haddenham Electric Vehicle Hire Club will be launched on Saturday 3 December 2022. The club will allow members to hire an electric vehicle car based in the centre of Haddenham quickly and easily.
Please visit the Electric Vehicle Hire Club page for information.